Thursday, September 25, 2008

Is our money safe and can we protect ourselves?

Jobless claims, unemployment filings, and layoffs are rising. Natural disasters in the form of hurricanes Gustav and Ike have not helped. The financial markets are in jeopardy which puts many of our businesses in jeopardy which then affects salaries and taxes. In this type of environment, how can we protect our money and ourselves?

I don’t have the answer but I’m keeping an open mind. While I don’t like the idea of taxpayer money bailing out the financial markets, I know something has to be done so our economy doesn’t grind to a complete halt. I’m encouraged by interviews I’ve seen by members of Congress who say there are other ideas being placed on the negotiation table. For better or worse, a response will soon be made to save the financial markets. I hope the pain we feel because of the solution is not so bad that it is felt by my future grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

No comments: