Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Food allergies don’t have to keep you from enjoying a night out

Last year I finally found out why I was so tired all the time and just not feeling good. I have a wheat/gluten allergy. Of course once I found out I panicked. How was I going to survive without oatmeal or bread? My favorite breads were wheat and whole grains and the doctor was telling me that I had to give it up? I didn’t eat out a lot in the first place but once in a while I did and of course when I traveled. Gluten is in everything.

Once I stopped panicking, I went to the internet and read books and magazines. Luckily for me there was a community on the internet of people going through this and happily enjoying life. Allergicgirl.blogspot.com and glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com are two blogs I enjoy reading and referencing since they have links to other resources about having this food allergy.

Another great resource is the Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network (FAAN). I always like to know which nonprofits support certain issues. Since I have a food allergy, this is a good organization to keep track of for information and legislation. Another organization that is an advocate for my specific food allergy is the Celiac Disease Foundation . Both of these organizations have a wealth of information about food allergies and how to live with them, including guidance on eating out. Thank goodness for the internet.

No comments: