Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Financial markets are in the crapper and the government wants to use our money to fix the problem

The news of the day is no mystery. Our financial markets are in the toilet and our Treasury Department wants to use taxpayer money to bail out failing Wall Street Companies. I don’t want the markets to crash but I also don’t think it’s fair for my money to be used to help companies that mad bad business decisions. I don’t want Congress giving Secretary Paulson a blank check without any oversight or any rules in place that protect me and my fellow taxpayers. Minimal oversight is what brought us to this place in time.

The first of three Presidential debates will take place this Friday and even though the topic is foreign policy I’m sure the bail out plan will be discussed. How we deal with our financial markets affects the world and that is part of foreign policy. We can’t live in a vacuum on this issue anymore. Neither candidate really knows the extent to the financial markets failing nor do I expect them to. However, I will be tuning in on Friday because one of them will have to deal with mess come January and I want to know how each candidate would proceed to fix this problem.

No comments: