Thursday, June 12, 2008

Oh Yes, I think They Can Dance!

Fox is back with season four of its summer hit, So You Think You Can Dance. In Round One, the dancers delivered big time. While not every performance was flawless, the bar has definitely been raised from last year. Not only has the talent level increased but the level of difficulty and creativity in choreography has also increased.

Mia Michaels choreographed a masterful routine, centered on the idea, “What would Tim Burton’s wedding be like?” Mark and Chelsie rose to the occasion and brought the concept to life. I was definitely a believer. If this is what Ms. Michaels is bringing to the stage in round one, I eagerly look forward to what she’ll create for the rest of the competition. I am also looking forward to seeing Wader Robson’s choreography for tonight’s group dance. He and Mia are truly dance visionaries. When you watch their work you know that not only will you be entertained but you have just witnessed greatness. We are blessed to be able to experience their work from the comfort of our living rooms. Wade and Mia are not the only choreographers to watch.

Even though she is no longer a judge I hope Debbie Allen will choreograph a number for the show. Hip Hop couple choreographers Tabitha and Napoleon brought some exciting work to the stage. Joshua and Katee danced to R& B Hit, No Air, by American Idol winner Jordan Sparks and Chris Brown. It was my other favorite performance of the night. It expressed the emotion involved as soldiers leave their loved ones to go to war. It was such a special and memorable piece and hit home for many, including myself, who have or had loved one serving in Iraq and Afghanistan. So many performances were really good but I don’t think a favorite dancer has emerged just yet.

Last year first runner up, Danny, was my favorite dancer from day one. He didn’t win the competition but I have no doubt he’s gainfully employed. He is definitely a choreographer’s dream. Danny made such an impression on me I wasn’t sure if this year’s talent would be at his level. While I don’t see a “Danny” the talent level is definitely high enough. I know I’m in for another great season. I don’t have a favorite yet but I hope that Twitch and Comfort stick around for another show, they bring such a positive attitude and talent to their performances and when they face critiques from the judges. So please don’t forget to vote in order to keep your favorite dancer in the competition.

No comments: